Headlines From Our Twitter Feed

Friday, October 7, 2016

Puerto Rico News Digest For October 7, 2016


BERNABE: PUBLIC SECTOR CUTS CAUSE JOB LOSSES






















From The San Juan Daily Star:

"Working People’s Party candidate for governor Rafael Bernabe said Wednesday
that an analysis by the consulting company Estudios Técnicos for the government
conducted in May 2016 “confi rmed that policies of reduction of public spending
would only deepen the economic crisis.” “This study confirms what we have said
for quite some time: policies of the reduction of public spending that tries to justify
the theories of ‘governmental gigantism’ only deepens the economic crisis,”  Berna-
be said. “They are unjust and counterproductive policies.” Bernabe warned that  “all
this demonstrates that the attack on public employees, be it by the reduction of work
shifts or by layoffs, affects the economy and also, therefore, private sector workers...”


YOUNG MAN MURDERED IN PUERTO NUEVO


As reported by El Nuevo Dia, an 18-year-old man identified as Christ Ojeda Rodrí-
guez was murdered overnight near a restaurant in the San Juan sector of  Puerto Nu-
evo. The killing happened at around 1:55 on Friday, at the intersection of Américo
Miranda and San Patricio Avenues. Police arrived after being alerted by a 911 call,
and found the victim's body with a gunshot wound to the chest. No motive or susp-
ects have been revealed so far as police investigate.


PUERTO RICO MEDICAL TOURISM EARNS AWARD


From News Is My Business:

"Puerto Rico’s medical tourism recently nabbed the international spotlight, winn-
ing the 2016 Global Accreditation Destination of the Year Award from Medical To-
urism Association (MTA) at the 9th World Medical Tourism Congress held in Wa-
shington DC last week. “We’re honored with this recognition from one of the most
important organizations in the medical tourism industry worldwide as the destinati-
on with the highest number of health care providers that have been certified under
the rigorous standards of quality and service MTA requires,” said Francisco G. Bo-
net, executive director of the Puerto Rico Medical Tourism Corporation..."


SPORTS TOURNAMENTS MOVED FROM PR DUE TO ZIKA


From ESPN:

"Two women's college basketball tournaments in Puerto Rico have been moved be-
cause of concerns about the Zika outbreak. The San Juan Shootout held during Tha-
nksgiving weekend will be played in Daytona, Florida. The Puerto Rico Classic will
move to Las Vegas on Dec. 19-21. "This is not an easy decision for us in light of our
decades of relationships with our Puerto Rican partners," Sport Tours president Lee
Frederick, whose company runs the events, said in a statement. "However, we under-
stand it is what the universities want at this time. The strength of our relationships in
Daytona Beach and Las Vegas has allowed us to make the changes smoothly. We look
forward to returning to San Juan in 2017 and beyond..."

No comments:

Post a Comment